The American Physical Society (APS), a non-profit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics, is seeking a graphic designer. This position is based at APS Headquarters in College Park, MD (walking distance from the College Park Metro Station). The graphic designer works with clients to design creative solutions. The position is responsible for working on a variety of creative projects including posters, brochures, newsletters, web graphics, and reports.
Design & Layout
- Conceptualize, design, and develop graphics, layouts, and creative solutions that meet stated requirements.
- Apply style and brand guidelines and design principles such as color, typography, photographic selection, and organizing elements.
- Think creatively and bring innovative design ideas to project solutions.
- Rework existing graphics to increase aesthetic value or apply consistent branding.
- Maintain technical knowledge in graphic design software and emerging design trends and apply appropriately to design work.
- Prepare creative projects for print and/or electronic production.
- Present design concepts and amend designs to stakeholder comments.
- Communicate with vendors and printers to meet prepress requirements.
- Coordinate production and delivery of creative projects.
- Efficiently balance multiple projects, various deadlines, and budget needs with innovative and effective design.
- Consult with manager regularly to ensure deadlines and goals are met.
- Collaborate with members of graphic design team to give and receive feedback on creative projects.
- Maintain master files in a shared location.
- Manage time effectively to meet deadlines and communicate progress to stakeholders and supervisor.
- Plan, organize, and collaborate via project management software.
- Participate in maintaining documentation.
Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in graphic design, fine arts, marketing, or other related field, required. 1-3 years of experience in professional graphic design environment essential. Necessary skills and abilities include:
- General Abilities
- Ability to deliver projects on time.
- Interact with others using honest, transparent, and positive communication.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Exercise good judgment.
- Strong, polished, and professional interpersonal, written, and oral communications skills are necessary.
- Customer service orientation desired, including ability to empathize and understand perspectives of others.
- Ability to travel occasionally preferred.
- Hands on experience with graphic design including logo design, typography, color, layout, web design, print production, and image selection.
- Demonstrated creative, innovative, and graphic design abilities with a strong portfolio.
- Ability to take direction and give, receive, and incorporate feedback well.
- Understand marketing concepts as they relate to creative design.
- Proficient in all design aspects and principles.
- Proficient in commonly used technology platforms and software, including Google Business Applications, Gmail, Adobe Creative Suite, project management software, and word processing.
- Proficient in publishing and graphics software.
- Proficient in a Mac environment.
- Proficient in electronic file organization and managing electronic communications.
To apply, send cover letter, including salary requirement, resume and portfolio or work samples to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
APS is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.